Estimated reading time: 2 min
Due to the potential for losses, the Financial Conduct Authority (FCA) considers this investment to be high risk.
• It is common for property funds to lose money over time.
• The business offering this investment is not regulated by the FCA. Protection from the Financial Services Compensation Scheme (FSCS) only considers claims against failed regulated firms. Learn more about FSCS protection here.
• The Financial Ombudsman Service (FOS) will not be able to consider complaints related to this firm. Learn more about FOS protection here.
• Even if the fund you invest in is successful, it may take several years to get your money back. You are unlikely to be able to sell your investment early.
• Putting all your money into a single business or type of investment for example, is risky. Spreading your money across different investments makes you less dependent on any one to do well.
• A good rule of thumb is not to invest more than 10% of your money in high-risk investments. Learn more here.
• The percentage of the business that you own will decrease if the business issues more shares. This could mean that the value of your investment reduces, depending on how much the business grows. The fund is likely to issue multiple rounds of shares.
• These new shares could have additional rights that your shares don't have, such as the right to receive a fixed dividend, which could further reduce your chances of getting a return on your investment.
If you are interested in learning more about how to protect yourself, visit the FCA's website here.
The material on the website is intended exclusively for high net worth investors, sophisticated investors and investment professionals. Only these categories of investor will be permitted to participate in the investment opportunities available on the website. A high net worth investor includes an individual with an annual income of at least £100,000 or net assets (excluding principal residence and pensions) of £250,000. A sophisticated investor includes an individual with relevant previous experience in unlisted investments. For more detailed information about the eligibility criteria, please see here. The content of the website is exempt from the general restriction on unauthorised firms communicating financial promotions. If you are unsure about your categorisation or about investing in unlisted property funds, please consult an appropriately qualified independent financial advisor.